Scientists Are Done Sequencing The Human Genome: Here’s How Blockchain Could Fit (Op-Ed)

DNA

In this article, we examine the atypical link between human DNA, technological progress and blockchain.

The Human Genome Project began in 1990. In 2003, with 92% of the genome sequenced, the project was declared complete. This year, technical developments have completed the remaining 8%. Blockchain technology like NFTs can use the information from this wonderful project to build new, better biotech products for humanity.

The achievements of human DNA research were published Thursday in the journal Science. The UC Santa Cruz-based Telomere-to-Telomere (T2T) Consortium, an open, community-based effort with a team of nearly 100 scientists, has announced it is ready to showcase the complete human genome for the first time in history.

The connection between media researchers, Blockchain, DNA

The open, peer-reviewed, project-oriented, humanitarian community of scientists has an ethos that many in the NFT industry and the wider cryptocurrency community would find very familiar with their own motivational principles and ways of working together.

The roadblock researchers encountered in 2003 was that they were done sequencing euchromatic DNA that is light-packed and constantly transcribed. This made it easier to sequence using the latest methods.

The remaining 8% are heterochromatic, densely packed, and less accessible for transcription. It’s like a cryptocurrency proof-of-work hashing problem with a higher difficulty calibration during times of increased hash power on the entire, say, Dogecoin network.

Now that scientists can read what’s going on in heterochromatic human DNA, they’ve discovered it’s very important to human health and evolution. CNN’s Tasnim Ahmed reported on Thursday that Evan Eichler, the T2T project leader, said:

It turns out that these genes are extremely important for adaptation. They contain immune response genes that help us adapt and survive infections, pests and viruses. They contain genes that are … very important in terms of predicting drug response.”

By leveraging the fully sequenced human genome, blockchain technology such as smart contracts and non-exchangeable tokens (NFTs) could power the next wave of biotech innovation to create real-world solutions to support human health and improve human life. extend.

Biotech Drug Companies, Blockchain, NFTs

The fast-growing and comprehensive toolkit with powerful capabilities of the cryptocurrency industry can help put more genomic data in the hands of researchers while protecting the privacy of genomic data. Namely, these are storing, tracking and securing information for clinical trials; and rapid development of essential tools and therapies by creating financial incentives for networks to provide computing power to research efforts.

And Alfred C. Chin of Blockchain for Science says blockchain can do much more for biotech and medicine. Due to its rigorous and computationally efficient way of tracking data, blockchain can be used to trace the lineage and mutations of cancer cells:

“A cryptographic hash function can assign a single-cell omics signature to a dimension-reduced fingerprint of the cancer. Such processing is realistic given the substantial advances made in computational methods for multimodal integration of single-cell omics data.”

The relevance of blockchain to biotechnology medicine is not just a theoretical hope in the 2020s. Last year, Patrick Yopp of Corzant Technologies wrote a profile about Louisville, Kentucky-based InvicTech, LLC, a leader in biomanufacturing, and how the biotech company is pioneering with using blockchain technology to simplify, secure and scale lab operations. It has even found a way to convert its state-of-the-art, downloadable microfluidic chips into NFTs.

Given the speed of cryptocurrency advancement, technology is not holding back the deployment of these peer-to-peer databases for medical applications, said Rakesh Joshi of Technology Networks. He cites a report from the innovation consultancy PreScouter, written by the company’s technical director for healthcare and life sciences, Dr. Charles Wright:

“The consensus is that changing the mindset of private, public and political leadership to adopt blockchain technology and the required change in management is the biggest hurdle to blockchain implementation.”

If that’s true, it means it’s not the technology that’s lagging behind; it is the knowledge, understanding, imagination and belief of the leaders interested in unlocking the secrets of nature for the benefit of human health.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *